to top today off i had to close with our shittiest manager who is very rude and mean and was being mean to me for six hours and I Want To Die
the case against porn
[tw rape, abuse, racism, misogyny, lesbophobia, transphobia, pedophilia]
- the working conditions are terrible and rape and abuse are rampant. porn stars experience extreme damage to their bodies, and their average career length is 3 months. [x] [x] (heavy trigger warning for rape and abuse in the second link)
- there is no way of knowing whether the acts depicted in any porn you could watch were consensual.
- it promotes pedophilia. "teen" is the most commonly searched porn term, and child pornography is one of the fastest growing businesses online.
- it promotes racial fetishisation. (“spicy latina,” “submissive asian,” “promiscuous/aggressive black woman”) [x]
- it promotes the fetishisation of lesbians and girl on girl sex. this leads to lesbians being raped/sexually harassed by heterosexual men who see lesbians as sex objects.
- it promotes the fetishisation of trans people (“shemale” porn)
- it warps male sexuality and causes men to enjoy degrading and being sexually violent towards women. this can begin at an alarmingly young age.
- it contributes to the culture of male sexual pleasure being prioritised over female sexual pleasure.
- it promotes thin/hairless/white/eurocentric beauty standards. most genitals (or bodies in general) featured in porn are completely hairless, and according to australian law, the vulva must be “healed to a single crease” in order to be considered “soft porn” (typically found in porn magazines) [x]
- it portrays women as sex objects to be bought, sold, and consumed for male pleasure.
- "feminist porn" is not the answer. it still supports the industry and the objectification of women and exploits women for profit. [x]
- the fact that a small number of women enjoy and make successful careers out of porn does not discredit the above points.
recommended further resources:
I’m tired and my head hurts and my professor let me off with a C because she knows I’ve been having stupid bad luck and have been tryin my hardest anyway which is nice because I 100% should have failed. I mean a C in Graphic Design 2 is still Super Lame for a graphic design major so if I can get into a class and have the time next semester I’ll retake it n try for better I guess.